I don’t know about you, but we are seriously stuck in Groundhog Day again over in our house. Gah. You remember that part of the pandemic when days didn’t matter? Yeah. Good times. Really enjoying it. Again.
But BUT! That feeling is a bit of a lie, as things WILL change pretty quickly in the next few months and I feel like it’s time to build up our ‘getting all the way dressed’ and ‘leaving the house’ and ‘interacting with people’ stamina. If you are back to The Before Times way of life where you live, please send me tips about the transition. We could use some advice.
And, tbh, I’m in a bit of a funk. Though I am doggedly working on new things for this month (I started a screenwriting program at UCLA-yay!), life overall feels meh. Know what I mean?
So, to remember that life is amazing (and/or not sucky), I have had to tap into some distant sense of awe and wonder. I’ve linked some things I’ve found this week that have helped me and I hope they help you if you are also in a funk.
Here we go! 5 quick links to bring you a little joy, a chance to think or to provide a helpful tool to you in 5 (ish) minutes! 🙂
(You do know that you don’t have to actually DO any of these things to have a little bit of hope, right? Just knowing that they exist in the universe may be all the boost you need today, so don’t fret if you don’t feel like clicking on the links for more info.)
Here is your Hope in 5 (ish) for the week!
- Life IS good. Even if it’s hard to remember that when the days feel a bit, well, pointless. And, when we are afraid and there is weird stuff happening in the world. Awe is a REALLY important human emotion to refresh our souls with. Check out these 7 ways to spark your sense of wonder!
- If you need an immediate hit, I strongly suggest you click through the photos I am linking here. Hit the first one and just keep advancing through the slideshow until you feel better. They have little captions at the bottom to describe the photo a bit. I am saving the page to come back to when I am feeling low and generally irritated by daily life.
- Speaking of wonder…wondering if things are generally getting better or worse in the world? This is a fascinating and, dare I say, hopeful Ted Talk might surprise you. It was from The Before Times, so I don’t know how much stupid COVID has changed things, but maybe some things will stay improved?
- For SURE one of the ways to get out of a funk is to DO SOMETHING to make the world a better place. So, even though I am a bit glum these days, I am doing this 21-day challenge through the YWCA to learn more about racial equity and social justice. The challenge is a small daily learning task. It starts on Monday, so I encourage you to sign up ASAP. Every single one of us are better when we better understand things.
- Want a good book to escape with AND cheer you up (without being all cheerful and, you know, trying too hard)? Try this one with a good mix of some contemporary and classics or this one that has some very timely titles. (Pro tip–download the sample on our Kindle and then go check it out at your library.)
And, as always, if you’ve discovered something you think other folks would find helpful or hopeful or fun, please click here to share that with me! 🙂
p.s. Did you know you can get this weekly newsletter sent right to your inbox next week? You’ll get it a little bit earlier than other folks. 🙂